Sunday, December 14, 2008

Snow

So finally we are getting some snow! Friday when I left work they were calling for 135 mph winds on the mountain. We had to close up early and make sure things were tied down really well! I was off Saturday and Sunday, so I didn't get to see if there was any carnage or not. The ski school was closed yesterday anyway, so I got lucky and didn't lose a day. From what I hear we've only gained a few inches up top which is all we have here in town. But I guess something is better than nothing! There was a large storm system coming through and they were predicting somewhere in the range of 3 feet in as many days. That hasn't happened yet! But as strange as it is, I will admit, I'm enjoying it. The temps have dropped about 30 degrees or so in the last couple days and has been cloudy and snowing on and off, and I'm ok with that! Weird. I guess your attitude about things change when it affects your livelihood! 

So my other news today is that I went to church here for the first time today. I have never to my knowledge been to church where I didn't know anyone! So this was a pretty big step. I have intended to go to church since I got here, but could never talk myself into it! It was pretty cool though. I went to one that a cab driver told me about my first couple of days here- Sierra Community Church. The worship was pretty good, although it was rough for me. But once the pastor started preaching I got sucked in. He had all kinds of historical insight and facts that he threw in. It was pretty cool! So it was actually a really interesting sermon, which was good because it made me forget I was sitting there alone! I've asked for Sundays off, so I will probably keep going here in the mornings and maybe check others out on Sunday nights.  Hopefully I can get plugged in somewhere.

So that's about it. The roommate situation is going well. The girl from New Zealand moved out and I've got a Chilean and a Brazilian now. They are both really friendly and outgoing so I've met more people in the last week than I have since I moved here! Hard not to meet them when they're hanging out in your living room! It's been a cool change though. The other night I had my first kind of quintessential hippie experience here. There were about 10 of us hanging out in our living room, just sprawled all over. One guy brought a guitar and everybody just kind of hung out jamming and singing. It was a pretty cool time. So things have definitely gone in an interesting direction the last week or so. 

So now with the snow I should be working pretty nonstop through the season. I have probably been the luckiest hourly employee here so far. I was told I would be cut all this past week, but was able to work the entire thing! So far, I am the only person I know of that has worked two full weeks! 

So far, so good!

3 comments:

June said...

So this morning I spent a bit of time typing not one but two comments to post. Neither one worked out! I was late for work for nothing. I just need to become more techy. I talked about you going to Wisconsin next since you are such a cheesehead! LOL...I even said I was proud of you for going to church and said to join a ministry so you can meet people-maybe teach Sunday School?? ....oh well...talk to you soon.

Anonymous said...

That will be the day that June and word techy can be used in the same sentence..... :-)

June said...

ok Anonymous..you better stop talking that way. I can be techy, just you wait!!! Don't even go there..:) I know who you are and where you live!